Monday, February 27, 2012

A Marriage Ends

So began a new chapter in our lives. Mom and Dad were not going to be together anymore. I don't think we realized this at first. One day a moving truck came and took our stuff to my Aunt's house. It was like an adventure for us as we loved spending time with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins. Our cousins were about ten years or so older than I was so we looked up to them. My Aunt's house was in the Leslie and Sheppard area and backed on to what I think was the original Windfields Farm. I think it was called Parkwood Stable. Can you imagine there being a farm around there now? The farm was moved to Oshawa where it thrived until the death of E.P Taylor in 1989 and later the death of his son Charles in 1997. The farm in Oshawa was the birthplace of Northern Dancer one of the world's greatest racehorses (he was later known for his record breaking stud fees of one million plus dollars). Sadly the farm has been sold to developers and to the University of Ontario. There is an area that will be preserved as a memorial park which happens to be the site where Northern Dancer is buried. It's sad to go by there and not see graceful horses roaming the fields anymore.

Back to my new adventure or should I say our new adventure. During a counselling session my Dad was apparently asked if he would put more effort into his marriage. As you would have it my Mom was president of the local Nursery School and a sore spot was the fact that he would not attend any functions with her but when it came to his work functions she was expected to attend. He was actually a very sociable guy so I'm not sure what the problem was. He wanted to go on vacations for two but she felt that all vacations should be as a family which was another sore spot. I think she wanted him to help around the house more as well and his feeling was likely that she was at home all day and he did not need to come home and help out (even with us). Boy he is such a different person now! Anyway during the counselling session when he was asked this question he replied that he had no intention of changing anything. My Mom told both him and the therapist that she intended to look for someone else. Maybe he thought she was kidding because it seemed to come as a shock to him when she actually left. I don't know if he was upset that she left, that she had found someone else or that she had taken us.

We actually knew the person my Mom had "found". He had known me since I was born (I guess I had known him too but not until I was old enough to actually know someone). My sister came running down the hall at my Aunt's house one morning yelling *** ***** is in bed with our Mom!!! Sorry but no actual names. We really liked him. He was alot of fun. He joked around and did things with us. My Mom seemed happy too which made things better. Before long we moved into a new townhome nearby. My Mom left the house for my Dad which was nice for us when we went for our weekend visits. We still got to see our old friends.

In our new home we met lots of new friends. There was a family down the way who had two girls the same age as my sister and I. We became instant best friends as did our Moms. We had some great adventures with them. The complex was very big and had a swimming pool and a huge playground shared by three townhouse complexes. We were actually in a stacked townhouse which meant we didn't have a backyard just a terrace so the playground was great. It's funny how much the world has changed since then. We used to go all over the place. There was a ravine behind our school where we used to go exploring. We would take a lunch and not come home until dinner time. There was not as much supervision back then but it didn't seem as though we needed it (well not always). One time when our friends' parents went away they came and stayed with us. My Mom had the key to their house to water the plants (plants were a big thing back then) which we decided to take one day and let ourselves in. We had a great time playing with the toys in the attic that had been bought for Christmas, we popped colored popcorn, played dressup and had a little party (just the four of us). We didn't think anybody would know but unfortunately a couple of colored kernels were found on the floor causing further investigation. Back then spanking was not abnormal (I still think it has it's place) but who would have thought that my Mom would allow the neighbour to spank us? I guess they were really angry and my Mom was feeling as though we had duped her.

We were best friends and did everything together including learning about the birds and bees. We had a group session with our Moms. They had found the book "Where Did I Come From" (I later bought this for my kids and would recommend it to anyone) and we read it and had a discussion. It's always kind of a shock when you learn for the first time how that works. I'm sure the first thought is always EWWWW!

Around this time I had another friend that I talked to. I don't usually mention this but it's kind of funny. I don't remember actually seeing him but he was apparently an alien who would visit me at night and sometimes talk to me through a homemade dixie cup phone. He actually had a name. His name was Captain Oogligloop. How weird is that? I guess I must have made him up so I had someone to tell my private thoughts to. I was seven so I can't say I really remember but I will say that I do believe that there is other life out there. To me it seems ridiculous to think that in a universe so vast we could be the only life form. I have a friend who strongly believes that I was visited. I guess I'll never actually know.

We learned alot in those early years. We learned to accept others as they are. We had a next door neighbour who was a thalidamide baby. She was actually around fifteen when we moved in. She astounded us with her talents. She could dress our barbies with her toes! She could tie my brothers shoes with her toes (back then shoes had laces)! She could write with her toes. Funny thing. I guess as children we were more accepting than our adult counterparts. Apparently some parents rallied and complained that she was taking her shoe and sock off in class to hold her pen or pencil so she wasn't allowed to do it anymore. They gave her some weird contraption to use. As kids we were amazed at what she could do but I guess parents didn't see it that way.

Alot happened over the years living on Shawnessy Boulevard but I'll save some of them for another day! Time for some housework.



No comments:

Post a Comment